venerdì 12 ottobre 2012

VeganMoFo: The discovery of America and other discoveries

Today is the anniversary of the discovery of America. I've always remembered this date, not only because of its historical importance, but because people used to wish me happy birthday today (b. F. = before Facebook). Or the day before my birthday. It seems that it's easier to remember the 10/10 or the discovery of America, so when I was a child I started celebrating before and finished later. It's not that bad when you're a child! :)
They associated me with America, and they were not wrong actually, because Colombo (I'm not going to write Columbus, but I'm going to tell you why) could see the land in the night between the 11th and the 12th, but he landed the following day, so as a child I used to think, "ok, it's not that wrong!"
Colombo. Cristoforo Colombo. I studied him as an historical character, I read several books about him and 20 years ago there was even a cartoon about him to celebrate the 500th anniversary of his discovery. And it was not (not only!) because of America itself, but because Cristoforo Colombo was Italian.
Yep, Italian. Not Spanish. He was working for Spain, but this doesn't make him a Spaniard! :)
Did you know that? I'm just curious to know. :) :) :)

A few years ago, I was in Belgium in an international class and we were playing that game where you've got a post-it on your forehead and you have to guess the character written on it. I couldn't guess mine soon, it took me so much time! Guess who was he? Cristoforo Colombo. They told me he was dead, he lived between the XVth and the XVIth centuries, and he was... Spanish!! They didn't know he was Italian. That's why I couldn't guess. And that's why I'm asking you, I'm just curious to know if you think that too. 
And Amerigo Vespucci, the man who gave America its name, was Italian too.
A little bit of Italian pride, tonight. :) - I'm just kidding. Hope you can feel it. I'm a minority in the MoFo, so it's just for fun and to celebrate this day. :) And I hope I made you smile! :)

Sooo. I wrote and other discoveries in my title, and it deals with my vegan discoveries.
Here they are!



I bought these two products in a special supermarket a few days ago - you can't find them in ordinary supermarkets here - because I was curious to taste them. I'm trying to buy a new product every now and then, and that's what I think.

Rice malt: Heaven! Could another word describe it better?
Definitely, I love it! I couldn't imagine it was so good! Probably due to its colour, I thought it could taste like honey, but no, it's so much better and tasty! I could eat rice malt all the time.

Tahin: Doubt! I'm not sure whether I like it or not.
I like it, but not completely. I think it could taste better. Its aftertaste reminds me of peanut butter, but it's bitter, and I don't know if I like this kind of bitterness. There was a white tahin too, but I went for this one because I thought the whitish one could have been chemically whitened. Is it the same for you?

So, in the end, tonight I'm not going to write any recipes, but I would like you suggest me how and where to use rice malt and tahin. What do you do with them? Is there a special recipe you can suggest me?
Since the theme of this post is about discoveries and I've just discovered their flavour, now I would like to discover a new recipe to use them.
Any suggestions, America and the rest of the vegan world? :)



6 commenti:

  1. I love dipping apple slices in tahini. Or chocolate if you're feeling naughty! Then again, tahini is one of my all-time favorite foods so maybe I'm just weird.

    I'm not so sure how to use the rice malt as I've never heard of it before.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Hi Emily,

      thanks for your suggestions. I have both apples and chocolate and I'm going to try soon. :)

      I've just had a look at your blog, it's so cute! And I like the theme you picked! :)

      Rice malt should be good for one of your waffles, as a replacement for maple syrup. Try it, if you find it, because it's amazing!

      Ciao ciao!

      Elimina
  2. Quando dico ai miei studenti spagnoli che Colombo era italiano, rimangono scioccati. Quando poi gli racconto che era l'amante della loro regina (che anche per questo gli diede tutto quello di cui aveva bisogno per partire) e che il loro re era gay, dovresti vedere le loro facce ... hahahaha

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Ahahah, immagino la soddisfazione, ma più che altro il divertimento! :)

      Elimina
  3. Hallo Cris!
    Tahini is great in hummus and baba ganouj!! It's used a ton in Lebanese and Middle Eastern cuisine, so if you want more ways to use it, that's a good place to start looking.

    xo
    kittee

    RispondiElimina
  4. Ciao Kittee,

    thanks for your suggestions!
    Actually, I've never tasted baba ganouj nor Middle Eastern cuisine, but there's always a first time, right? I'm going to try! I don't know why, but I'm sure I'll find something helpful on your blog! :)

    Ciao ciao!

    RispondiElimina

Ti potrebbero anche interessare:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...